Radha Govinada Baruah College is popualrly known as R. G. Baruah College is a promising
institution offering both Arts and Commerce courses under Gauhati University for Degree classes
and Assam Higher Secondary Education Council for Higher Secondary courses. The college is
located on the southern part of Guwahati city at Fatasil-Ambari on the A.K. Deb Road, which
connects Bharalumukh with the National Highway 37 bypass at Garchuk, and lies at a distance of
about 25 kms from the Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi Airport, Borjhar, and 4 kms from the Guwahati
The college was established in 1978 with the noble objective of spreading the light of higher
education amongst the students of Kalapahar - Fatasil locality, quite a number of who belong to
economically backward families. The college was named after Xingha Purusa Radha Govinda Baruah
whose contribution in the fields of newspaper industry, sports organization, and cultural
activities, is unparalleled in Assam. He is known as the Architect of Modern Assam.
The college was brought under the deficit grants-in-aid system in the year 1990 and Arts stream
was provincialised by the Govt. of Assam in 2006 and Commerce stream was provincialised in 2013.
It is permanently affiliated to Gauhati University and is under the purview of section 2(F) and
12(B) of the University Grants Commission Act 1956.